The word ‘Intermodal’ means using two or more modes of conveyance for moving freight. Intermodal transport offers a combination of transport solutions: air (plane), land (truck or train), waterways (barge and boat), and sea (cargo). The brokers involved in intermodal logistics are committed to transporting the goods from point A to point B.
In Intermodal shipping services, there is always a unique supplier involved, and thus, there are individual contracts. Several transporters join forces in completing this task within the same itinerary, yet using different transport modes: train, plane, truck, and barge, for instance.
Different Types of Intermodal Transportation
There are two types of intermodal transportation:
- COFC – COFC stands for container on a flatcar. This is an inexpensive and efficient method for intermodal shipping. All four containers can be loaded onto the car at once.
- TOFC – Trailer-On-Flatcar or TOFC is a type of intermodal transportation method where the over-the-road or OTR trailer is placed on the well-car directly.
Both the COFC and TOFC have proved helpful in intermodal transportation as it helps cut down on manual labor. Thus, saving time, effort, as well as money for the shippers.
Why Do You Need Intermodal Trucking Services?
Intermodal services are about finding the right supply chain to maximize value for customers. A logistics trucking company in the USA can help you:
- Accommodate your freight by various means of transportation.
- Easily transport your load to its destination.
- Quickly meet shipping deadlines.
Advantages of Intermodal Shipping
There are many advantages of getting intermodal services. Some of them are:
- You get direct access to multiple transportation service options.
- Intermodal service providers give you competitive long-haul transit choices.
- You have cost-saving opportunities.
- Offers alternative capacity.
Let’s explore the advantages of intermodal shipping further:
- Fast Delivery: One of the advantages of intermodal transportation is that it results in quick freight movement. This reduces the cost and time needed for loading, unloading, and issuing documentation. If we use railways and ferries for logistics, it eliminates unnecessary stops that take too much time.
- Lower costs: You can minimize transportation costs by transporting freight via intermodal shipping. Railways and truck services help save more because railways use less fuel and can travel long miles. Thus, long overhauls won’t be a problem anymore!!
- Easy Handling: Intermodal shipping includes containers that do not require individual handling and easily fit into every space. They are easy to use, so it takes less effort to move the shipment.
- Good capacity: Intermodal trucks can be used when and wherever needed. Many logistics companies are now using intermodal transportation because of its reasonable price and quality.
- Quality and safe service: Logistics trucking companies provide one of the fastest services that guarantee secure and reliable cargo dispatch. There are fewer chances of mishaps as trains travel on a fixed track. So, you can quickly unload and load cargo, which speeds up the shipping process.
- Convenience: Intermodal transportation has advanced so much today. It is convenient, reliable, and safe. Shippers do not have to worry about their shipping as intermodal logistics have made shipments easier and more accurate.
- Flexible transportation: There is flexibility in freight movement under intermodal transport. However, if you have an effective plan, you can save more.
That’s about the benefits of intermodal transportation.
If you are convinced and would like to get the service from a logistics trucking company in the USA, we are here for you!